How does greater access to specialized care optimize the treatment of spinal cord injuries? On this episode, Dr. Steven Kirshblum dives into the differences between general and specialized rehabilitation for SCI patients, why specialized care is critical for better patient outcomes, and the challenges of integrating specialized care for spinal cord injuries into the medical system.
This episode’s points of interest cover:
- Advancements and challenges in the treatment of spinal cord injury
- Are rehabilitation centers certified to treat spinal cord injuries?
- Why do specialist rehabs get better results?
- Examining racial and ethnic disparities in spinal cord injury care
- The integration of spinal cord injury care into the medical system
- Exploring trends in spinal cord injury care
- Dr. Kirshblum’s take on polypharmacy in SCI care
- Discussing natural recovery after traumatic spinal cord injury
- Causes of mortality in SCI patients
- Why steroid treatments have failed to translate to human trials
- Developing resilience in SCI patients
- Managing bladder issues in SCI care
- Neuromodulation as an FDA approved treatment for spinal cord injury
- Dr. Kirshblum answers the magic wand question
Listen to this and other in-depth conversations on your favorite Podcast:
|Dr. Max Boakye, Neurosurgeon, and Neuroscientist, currently Professor of Neurosurgery, Chief of Spinal Neurosurgery, Director of Quality Improvement, and Clinical Director of the Kentucky Spinal Cord Injury Research Center, interviews leading neuroscientists, health administrators, neurosurgeons, educators, neuro and spine health care experts, and patients in his Podcast show: Optimal neuro|spine. His in-depth conversations brings to light topics on:
Dr. Boakye present the most innovative emerging research that will impact neuro|spine care. Join us as we delve one-on-one and have insightful conversations with exciting researchers and experts – voices who have something to teach, enlighten, and inspire us about Optimal neuro|spine.
Maxwell Boakye, MD, MPH
Clinical Director, KSCIRC