We are seeking several Activity-based Therapist Intern positions at the Neuroscience Collaborative Center of the Kentucky Spinal Cord Research Center. A team effort in this laboratory focuses on plasticity of the spinal cord and rehabilitation strategies in adults with spinal cord injury. The ability to work as a team member in a dynamic research environment is essential.
Knowledge of blood pressure, heart rate monitoring, and therapy modalities is beneficial. The position requires use of moderately to significantly complex technical equipment. Strong computer skills are preferred, but not required.
Benefits to Experience – You Will:
- Obtain hands-on experience while working with individuals with spinal cord injuries next to a dynamic team of physical therapists, occupational therapists, exercise physiologists, and scientists,
- Gain experience in recovery-based rehabilitation and activity-based interventions, and
- Learn about how activity-based interventions not only can excite the nervous system, and in some cases promote functional recovery but also can help improve some of the complications or “secondary injuries” of spinal cord injury such as cardiopulmonary deficits, orthostasis, autonomic dysreflexia, metabolic dysfunction, high body fat, decreased lean tissue, fat infiltration of muscle, decreased bone mineral density of the legs, decreased circulation, and loss of or impaired reflexes.
This is a great opportunity if you are going into Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Nursing, or Physician Assistant programs.
- This completed Internship Application.
- Your Resume, as a PDF.
- Both PDFs as Attachments.
- Subject Line is: Internship Applicant.
- Written to the Attention of: Richard Seither.
- Emailed to: email@example.com
Thank you and we look forward to hearing from you about the exciting opportunity.